Francesca rites: Salis Marner
Silas Marner starts off slow. It explains how he is a weaver, and since there were so many other weavers he was exiled from his home and moved to a new town. It is slow because I feel like it explains that in great detail. Once you get farther into the book it becomes very intriguing. When Silas moves to the new town he becomes a weaver. Since there are not many weavers in the town he makes a lot of money and ends of pretty rich. The thing is that he lives modestly. His house is small and he almost never indulges him self. Salis hates to spend his money because he thinks it is a waste and he likes to have it around. He hides it under the floor boards of his house. A man finds out it is there and he wants to steal it. One night when Salis is away he sneaks into the house and locates the coins quite easily. He saw the areas where the sand was covering it and then it was easy.
The theme so far in the book is greed. I don’t know if Salis is necessarily greedy but he is so caught up in saving the money and counting it all the time he never uses it. It was very easy for the thief to steal. Salis should have spent the money and not just counted it. The money was worthless because money is suppost to be spent. It is good to save some but if you are never going to spend it, what is the point of the money?
So far I haven’t really gotten a glimpse into Salis’s character. Beside the fact the he his so attached to his money, he hasn’t shown any other traits. I think that he doesn’t really have much to live for. Not that he is sad or any thing but he doesn’t have a family and I think that he lives for the money. Salis goes into town after the robbery and sees the thief and a few other men. I think that he is suspicious that he did it, but the thief is very defensive. He gets mad and says do you have any prove and since the reader knows he did it he seems very nervous that he will get in trouble.
I think the book is very good so far. Beside the fact that it starts slow, it is written extremely well , considering the author is George Elliot. I would definitely recommend this book and if you don’t like the beginning I think you should try to stick it out. Trust me it gets really good!
Monday, January 31, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment