Monday, January 31, 2011

A Prayer for Owen Meany

Danny writes:
 
  The most current thing that happened in A Prayer for Owen Meany was that John’s mother, Tabitha, died form a foul ball that John’s best friend, Owen Meany hit.  Now a new character is introduced named Hester and Owen Meany develops a crush for her.  Dan Needham is now taking care of John and both he and Owen Meany now attend Gravesend Academy.  Owen starts to date Hester and John and Owen are working on “The Shot,” in which Owen has the ball and John lifts him up and throws him so he can dunk it.  Despite being a straight-A student and having success with girls, Owen is eventually kicked out of Gravesend Academy for vandalism of drafts into the war.  He was once Harvard and Yale material, although now he is trying to get into The University of New Hampshire now and he makes a deal with them.  If he spends some active time in the Vietnam War which has just begun, he can have a scholarship to the school.  He becomes obsessed with his death that according to him will be on July 8, 1968, and it will be while saving many Vietnamese kids from death.  He looks forward to the day in hopes of being a hero.  Although, John doesn’t want to be drafted and to make sure he isn’t, Owen amputates John’s trigger finger with his permission of course.  Eventually, Owen’s reoccurring dreams occur, although not the way that he planned and saw them to.
   
        I did love this book, but I can’t put a reason behind that statement because it’s one of those books that you absolutely can’t connect with in anyway except the chapter including baseball, but yet you can feel how the character feels and the reason behind his decisions and actions.  You can almost see through the character’s eyes.  I definitely give this book an 8, for it was worth reading and I hope there are more out there like it.  The only thing that I didn’t like about it was the fact that it was so religious and I am not the slightest bit religious.  Owen believed he was the instrument of God and was very religious, even as a boy.  He had read the Bible at the age of 11.  Besides the fact that it was like that, I loved the book and would suggest it to a reader who wants something different and new; that has never been done before as far as I’m concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment