Becca writes:
One theme that is very apparent in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is racism. The Widow has slaves that are constantly around as do most other households that surround The Widow. Whites go to school but there are no blacks that know how to read, at least legally, and it is unheard of for a black man to go to school. Mark Twain highlights the slavery by showing a reward for a returned slave and the inability to say no to the two white aristocrats that try to join Huck and Jim. When Mark Twain was writing this the Civil War had already happened and there was no slavery, though racism was still apparent. The author set this back two decades before his time in order to show more of the slavery and racism that had happened back then, and prove that it was still around during his quest to write The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
On a scale of one to ten I would rate this book a seven. Though it is a classic read and very well articulated, it wasn’t the kind of book that I really get into. I think that this book is more well suited for someone who enjoys history as it’s set in a historical context, and for someone who understands broken English better than I do. I had trouble following Huck’s dialect as it was very different than those you might here today in most parts of the country. I also was not able to get very into the book because I like more of a love story based novel. This is a great book, I just couldn’t appreciate it as much as other people can.
Monday, January 31, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment