Hannah writes:
I am reading The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. The main character of the novel is Edmond Dantes, an impeccably brilliant and clever young man. The novel begins with Edmond returning from overseas on a boat he was working aboard. When he returns he greets his father, who is very happy to see him. He then proceeds to see the love of his life, Mercedes. Edmond’s boss, M. Morrel also decides to promote Edmond as captain for the next trip. Mercedes and Edmond decide to get married, However, Fernando, who is secretly in love with Mercedes, becomes extremely jealous. Completely disregarding the fact that Mercedes only loves him as a friend, Fernando comes up with a plot to stop the marriage without killing Edmond. He and his two friends come up with a plot to falsely accuse Edmond of a crime he did not commit and to arrest him. During the wedding ceremony, Edmond is arrested and taken away. Edmond is taken to a man named Gerard de Villefort. Villefort asks Edmond if he is carrying a letter and Edmond responds yes and shows him the letter. Villefort realizes that the letter is addressed to his father, and scared that his father would be arrested, he accuses Edmond and sends him to prison. While Edmond is in prison, Villefort travels to visit his father and warns him about the letter. His father then shaves and changes his clothes so the police will not be able to recognize him. The letter is about how Napoleon was back to seize power, so Villefort travels to warn King Louis XVIII about the letter. However, Napoleon seizes the throne. Since the charge on which Edmond was arrested is no longer illegal, he has the chance to be released, except Villefort never releases him. Edmond is trapped in prison for many years, and get tired and hopeless. However, Edmond discovers a way to visit another person on the other side of his cell by carving a hole through the wall. The other prisoners name is Abbe Faria. Over the years they are together, Abbe educates Edmond, making him a more brilliant and wise person. They figure out that Edmond had been set up, and now he seeks revenge on Villefort for falsely imprisoning him. Abbe also tells Edmond about secret treasure hidden on the Island of Monte Cristo and says that it belong to himself, but also to Edmond because of their bond. As the two plan to escape, Abbe dies. Edmond then manages to escape and ends up on a boat. The boat reaches the Island of Monte Cristo, and Edmond stays on the island alone. He then searches and finds the greatly large amount of treasure that he inherits. He then reunites with the crew and asks his friend to see how his dad and Mercedes are. His friend comes back to inform him that his father had passed away and Mercedes is missing. Dantes decides to go back home, disguised. He visits Caderousse, who was one of the men who arrested him in the first place. He finds out what has happened to his friends and his dad while he was gone for so long. He is also informed that Mercedes married Fernando because she thinks Dantes is dead, and they now live in Paris. Dantes decides to give Caderousse a large portion of the treasure.
So far I have read up to this much, and it is making me very apprehensive as to what will come next. The plot is very involved and changes very frequently with drastic twists. This novel so far has been keeping me on my feet.
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Very articulately written. And in such depth and detail too! Having said that, you delve into such great depth describing the plot so far, yet very little discussing your take on the novel. Other than that, very well written.
ReplyDeleteDoes Edmund remain the main character throughout the novel even though he is in jail?
ReplyDelete-Caitie
Hannah,
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like quite a read. I have not read it. I'll be curious to know what your final verdict is.
Ms. M.
Dumas is my kind of writer. I'm thinking about reading this book for the next independent reading project and am looking forward to it!
ReplyDeleteParisa
Caitie-
ReplyDeleteYes, he does remain the main character and he does eventually get out of jail.
Ms. M.-
In the beginning of the novel (around when i read this part), I thought it was interesting. However, as I continued reading i realized that i didn't like this book as much as i originally had, and I changed my opinion about it.
-Hannah
This novel seems very interesting and it reminds me a little of a movie I watched called the The Shawshank Redemption, but that is beside the point. I enjoy stories such as this one and I wish I knew what happened next.
ReplyDelete-Mairian
This is in response to the questions that you asked me. The story takes place in Massachusetts during the early 1900s I think. I'm not sure if adultery was frowned upon back then, but I'm sure it was.
ReplyDelete-Kristina