Golshan writes:
Dracula by Bram Stoker starts off by introducing Jonathan Harker, one of the main characters. He is a solicitor who is going to Dracula's castle for business purposes. At first Count Dracula seems really nice, but after a while weird things start happening. Jonathan notices things like he is locked in the castle and there are no servants. When Jonathan was shaving, the Count's reflection didn't show up in the mirror, and once, when he fell asleep in a room, he saw three beautiful women who wanted to kill him. He is afraid for his life and crawls out the window like he had seen the Count do many times. Then the novel introduces the other characters like Mina, Jonathan's wife and Lucy, her best friend. Lucy writes a letter to Mina saying that she was proposed to by three men in the same day and explains the men a little. The one she decided to marry is Arthur Holmwood, and is very upset about turning down the others (Quincy Morris and Dr. Seward). This novel is written as a diary for the characters, and in Dr. Seward's diary, he talks about a patient named Renfield. Renfield has an obsession with consuming lives. He collects flies, feeds them to spiders, then feeds the spiders to birds. He asks Dr. Seward for a kitten but when he refuses he eats the birds raw and gets sick. When Mina and Lucy are together, Mina notices that Lucy began to sleepwalk and one night she walks to a park and sits by a bench. When Mina found her she saw a strange skinny old man with red eyes next to her. When she got closer he disappeared, but there were two little red wounds on Lucy's neck (which Mina thought they were made by a pin). Eventually Lucy gets sick and Arthur calls Dr. Seward who calls Van Helsing. They find out that Lucy has lost a lot of blood and decide to give her blood transfusions. This happens four times. Van Helsing has mysterious ways of trying to get Lucy better which include rubbing garlic all over her room. There are many mysterious things that happen including many things that go wrong with Lucy's treatment. I'm going to stop here because I don't want to give too much away. Dracula seems like it is going to be one of my favorite novels because of its exciting plot and characters.
-Golshan
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds very interesting Golshan! I might read this......
ReplyDeleteFrom Meaghan
In eighth grade i was lucky enough to be able to read this book instead of Knights of the round table. I liked it a lot, and actually bought it. I hope you enjoyed it as much as i did. This was one of the only books i have ever read ahead in.
ReplyDeleteNick
I read this book twice and really liked it, and it seems that you did too. I thought that the weirdest part was during Lucy falling ill, her operation, (etc).
ReplyDeleteDid you feel that the ending wasn't as bold as the rest of the novel, and kinda happened rather quickly compared to the rest of the way the characters spoke in their diaries (I forget who wrote the last journal entry)
-Caitlin
Golshan,
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you are enjoying this novel!
Did Bram Stoker write any other well-known novels?
Ms. M.
I read this book before. It is a great book. very interesting and exciting. I would definitely read it again.
ReplyDelete-Mairian
This book does seem very exciting and exactly my type of book. There's a movie about Van Helsing, which is one of my favorites, and I have seem many movies and read many different stories about or in some way connected to Dracula. I think now it's about time to actually read the book. After reading your post I'm so anxious to read this book.
ReplyDeleteParisa
Looking at the comments before this one Dracula seems to be a very good book. I have read a lot of books that do not have good endings. Were you satisfied with the ending of Dracula?
ReplyDelete-Erika
I just wanted to say something in response to Parisa's comment. :]
ReplyDeleteI always found it interesting that there were so many different versions of the story Dracula (like Van Helsing) that are kind of far-off from this story a lot of the time, and yet this is such a well-respected/referenced novel.
Weird..
-Caitlin
I have heard great reviews from all those who read this book last year. I wanted to read it sometime this year and now after reading your post about it, I am even more interested in it.
ReplyDeleteTo Caitlin
ReplyDeleteThe end of the book was very sudden, but if it had to be because Dracula could escape if they weren't fast enough.
-Golshan
To Ms. Mullhal
ReplyDeleteBram Stoker did write some other novels and short stories, but none of them were as famous as Dracula.
- Golshan
To Erika
ReplyDeleteI personally liked Dracula's ending. Everything happened very fast, but it was supposed to be that way (to show how fast and hard the characters had to work).
- Golshan