Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Jude The Obscure

Nick writes:
Jude The Obscure by Thomas hardy a novel renowned for its
quality, writer, and the mark it left in the time period based on
its obscenity. Although it's not nearly as bad as many of the
books out there now, for the time period it was considered
vulgar. Based on the language in the novel it can be assumed the
time period was some time ago most likely in the late 1800's
possibly early 1900's. The language can make this a tougher read,
but I would still recommend it to someone that I knew could
handle filling in the blanks, and figuring out what Thomas Hardy
is trying to say. Halfway through the Novel you find the
difference in language doesn't have any effect on your reading
any longer. Now on to the Main summary, Jude is an ambitious,
intelligent and well, obscure boy. In the beginning of the novel
you meet a boy who's only mentor is leaving to go to the center
of learning in that area. Christminster. To Jude the teacher
leaving was a huge deal, the teacher had meant a lot to Jude, and
was close enough to Jude to have told him his private ambitions
to become a scholar at the university in Christminster. Jude's
Ambitions soon turn into a lifestyle. He reads classics, and
learns all he can with a little help from his old friend, and
mentor teacher. A Huge theme I noticed in the novel was how a
human's love can get in the way of their ambitions. This is
exactly the story in Jude's case. He's dumb enough to find
himself involved in a relationship with a Young girl who cares
not for his needs. His first mistake was Arabella, the
relationship like many in his family's history ended poorly and
had a huge effect on Jude getting to Christminster because he was
forced to put his classics aside for the most part and focus on
his wife. He married her in response to her lie that she was
pregnant. Arabella unintentionally messed up Jude's life pretty
badly. Eventually Jude moves into Christminster to fulfill his
dream, and this was the section Jude faced his disappointment in
many aspect. His Teacher, His mentor, had he really cared for
Jude so much? Evidentially not because he couldn't seem to
remember the name Jude at all, for me reading this I could really
feel Jude's tremendous disappointment. Jude will find
disappointment repeatedly from this point on. Although I loved
the story in the novel I did find it hard to read for a long
period of time. As to not spoil the end I will not reveal
whether or not Jude reaches his dream, or if he ever finds love
again. I do recommend this as a book, but only if you have the
time to read it, I truly found it much more enjoyable in rations,
possibly half hour a night to forty five minutes. After that the
book begins to seem much worse than it really is. I liked the
book, but I wouldn't have finished it if I didn't have too. This
is because I prefer books that really get my emotions going, and
have a lot to them. Somehow this novel just wasn't doing it for
me. Because of the situation I have two scales for this book. On
the scale of how much I enjoyed it I give it a six out of ten. On
a scale of how much I appreciate the writing, and how well I
realize it is written I give it a nine. Unfortunately my
appreciation for Thomas Hardy's style was not enough to make the
book stimulate my brain for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment