Katherine writes:
Reflecting back on my latest read, George Eliot's The Mill On
The Floss, I'm also reflecting back to the life of character
Maggie Tulliver, the novel's protagonist. For our first entry
blog, I mentioned the life of author George Eliot and her secret
affair with married man George Henry Lewes. As I was reading
Maggie's story, I felt that I was also connecting to George
Eliot, in the aspect that she put a bit of her life in Maggie's
love connection to character Stephen Guest, who is engaged to
Maggie's cousin Lucy. This intrigued me and enticed me to read
on, eventually I became engrossed in the novel. The story is
certainly a good read, with the exception of a rather dull
beginning. Eliot's story starts off rather plainly, not very
appealing, and in need of some encouragement to get you through.
The turning point in the novel where the pace picks up a bit, and
gets going, is when Eliot includes humorous situations, such as
Maggie cutting all her hair off because she thinks her aunts like
short thin hair better. In fact, her family is repulsed by her
new hair style, with its stumpy jagged edges sticking out every
which way. If you are someone who prefers a page turner from the
get-go, I would not recommend this novel for you, however you
would be missing out on a classic read with a devastating
cliff-hanger ending. I would rate this book a six and a half out
of ten. Overall it was a good book, however the monotonous ending
brings it down slightly, and for me personally it wasn't the
exact type of genre I was looking for. However I do not
discourage others from picking it off the shelves, in fact I hope
you do just so because the ending is definitely worth it.
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment