Sasha writes:
Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut is a sarcastic, darkly humorous account of the aftermath of a number of fictitious WWII events. The story is told by John, although his role in the plot, other than to chronicle the events is minimal.
The story is kicked off by a man named Felix Hoenikker, a brilliant, if somewhat childish scientist and inventor, who was one of the unintentional parents of the atomic bomb. His last invention before he died was a mysterious substance called ice-nine. When the story takes place Hoenikker is already dead and it is his children who are actually there.
What is probably my favorite aspect of the book is the fictitious religion that many of the characters practice. The religion is called Bokononism and is based around the teachings of a man named Bokonon. Many of the parables and facets of Bokononism are mentioned throughout the book. They can be confusing at times but if you pay attention the pieces do fit.
The novel is written in a style that can at times feel choppy, with very short chapters and often very short sentences, but at the end it has a well-put together feel and the style fits with the story.
At the end of the novel I was left with a feeling of satisfaction, something I always enjoy when finishing a good novel, and something I experience all to infrequently. This has become one of my new favorite novels and I would probably give it a nine out of ten and a strong recommendation. I would however caution someone who does not particularly enjoy reading and who does not enjoy novels that do not get straight to the point that this could be frustrating.
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment