Monday, April 13, 2009

The Count of Monte Cristo

Hannah writes:
Personally, The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas did not meet my expectations. I thought the plot was confusing and hard to follow. There were too many characters and plot changes and it took away from the over all meaning of the novel. Also, I think the language was difficult to understand and not age appropriate. Along with the diction and the plot being hard to keep up with, some of the parts of the story were so depressing, like when the characters are enslaved in horrible prisons for very long periods of time. I did not find parts like that enjoyable to read about. This book was definitely not a page-turner for me, it was actually the opposite! I got bored reading this novel a lot of times and I would just want to put it down. I have read longer books than this in the past, but this one felt like it went on forever!
I would rate this book a 5/10 because I thought it was confusing and boring and not age appropriate. I would only recommend it to someone with a lot of patience and someone who enjoys reading very long books. I do not mean to insult the author in any way, but this book just wasn’t as good as I thought it would be when I read about the author and heard what other people who read it thought about it. Overall, this novel was not a good match with my reading style and preference, and hopefully next time I will read a novel that I enjoy more than this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment