Thursday, April 2, 2009

Wuthering Heights

Talia writes:
So far in my classic Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, I have met the characters Lockwood, Heathcliff, Joseph, Mrs. Heathcliff, Hareton, Zillah, and Mr. Earnshaw. An important main character in the novel is Heathcliff, although the author hasn’t gone into full detail of him or gotten his main story. The other main character is Cathy, but she has not been introduced yet. The main plot of the novel is supposed to be the big love story of Heathcliff and Cathy.
The novel started of with Heathcliff meeting Mr. Lockwood; his new tenant in his huge house known as the Thrustcross Grange in England. While he is staying with Heathcliff he meets Mrs. Heathcliff (Heathcliff’s daughter in law) and gets into a fight with her and Joseph. While trying to run he is attacked and hurt by dogs they unleashed on him. Zillah the housewife of the Grange brings him to a room and attempts to treat him. Inside the room he is left in, he comes across old books with the name Catherine written all over them and he begins to read the stories inside. The writing was similar to a diary and Lockwood thought it might be Catherine’s that she wrote while staying with Heathcliff.
The use of language and vocabulary makes the novel a bit hard to comprehend and follow along. At times I got lost and wasn’t able to keep up with what the characters were saying but overall I understand the main points of the novel. My opinion is that the beginning of the novel was not that interesting and is only starting to become more appealing. I guess I’ll just have to keep reading to find out.

6 comments:

  1. Wow Talia! Sounds Interesting! Who are you trading books with?
    From Meaghan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wuthering Heights has always been somewhere on my list of books to read. I'm glad to hear that someone my age is finding it at least halfway enjoyable! :)
    I've been interested in finding out more about Heathcliff, and I've wondered what his backstory's like. What kind of a personality does he have?

    -Maeve

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Kristina:

    I'm reading this book next. It sounds interesting so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talia,

    I really loved this novel when I first read it. I think you will have an easier time of it once you continue to read it. Also, check out the song of the same title by a singer called Kate Bush! It was a big hit way before you were born!

    Ms. M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that you've read this classic novel do you really think it deserved reference in a pop-culture story such as twilight?
    I'm not all that familiar with this book but I've heard commentary from others who have read it that say it's somewhat of a sadistic/abusive love affair, is this true?

    -Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meaghan im reading Aimee's book Far From the Madding Crowd next

    Maeve Heathcliff kind of has a odd hidden personality, he doesnt like showing other characters emotions expecially if he's sad. in one part he wouldnt let a character see that he was crying and longing for someone. He can also be nice at times, and then cruel.

    -talia

    ReplyDelete