Meaghan writes:
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley is the independent reading book I am currently reading now. It is a very hard book to get in to, but once some interesting facts are stated, the book heats up quickly. Brave New World is a difficult book to read, mainly because the language is so complex. Many times I have had to look plenty of words up in the dictionary.
In the novel, Huxley talks about many new scientific discoveries. In the first chapter Huxley states many times about parent conditioning, how a child should act, and human cloning. Human reproduction is also a key factor that Huxley talks about over and over. In the second chapter, the director separates many newborn babies, infants, and toddlers into different rooms, with all different signs on the children’s doors. Many people observe the children, and watch them all the time, to notice if there is anything they notice differently. The director and many nurses’ test out various experiments to see what the young children will do. For example, they hold up flowers to the kids’ faces to see what reaction they have. Also, they ring an alarm clock to see how the children will react. If the children don’t like the nurse shoving flowers into their faces, they will have a hatred for flowers. This system will determine any future technologies from kids.
There hasn’t been many characters introduced into the story yet, but so far we have the director, and many nurses.
One can never really tell with this book what is being explained or what peoples private thoughts are. There are several inappropriate terms Huxley’s story; therefore, that’s why the thoughts are in peoples head, in their own private thoughts. This story is all about the future, what will happen next. This novel is very unpredictable; sometimes I am shocked about what I just read. Many different chemical names are mentioned, since the director constructs many experiments to see what will happen.
“Every one works for every one else. We can't do without any one. Even Epsilons are useful. We couldn't do without Epsilons. Every one works for every one else. We can't do without any one...” (49) This quote is relevantly important in the novel. It shows how people in the building constructing different ideas can help people and how the office can’t do work with out any one. Each and every person is a special part of his or her living.
In conclusion, Aldous Huxley’s novel Brave New World will take me some time for me to actually make a solid decision if I love the book or not. In the meantime, I am looking forward to see what else Huxley has in mind for the future!
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Are you usually interested in Sci-fi books (because if you normally weren't would it be as good to read)?
ReplyDeleteAlso, have you ever read anything else by this author (since you said that you were hoping to see what other books he's written)?
-Caitlin
Sounds like a pretty interesting book ! i might want to read it sometime.
ReplyDelete-talia
Were the experiments on the babies creepy, or did they creep you out at all? I personally might have been freaked on the idea of these experiments, but if I ever read it I would certainly like to find out!
ReplyDelete-Katherine
Katherine- Yes I was a bit 'creeped out' by the discoveries of the babies. It was also quite interesting to see what they would do next.
ReplyDeleteAnd as for Caityln, No I have not read anything else by Aldous Huxley.
-meaghan