Monday, April 13, 2009

Cat’s Cradle

Sasha
The novel I read as my third quarter classic was Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. The writing is well crafted and the plot is fast moving. However while the novel is delightfully written, there is very little emphasis placed on characters and their development. They almost seem to be put in as an after thought, more there to help the plot along than for their own sake. What is interesting about this is that unlike many authors whose characters have no development because they are not very good at what they do, this lack of character development comes off as completely intentional and in fact works very well for the story and for Vonnegut’s style.
In the novel it is very hard to become attached to any of the characters and to really feel them as human beings. This should make it hard to relate to the novel, but what it does instead is make you read for the plot itself and not for the characters. Instead, it feels almost like the plot itself is the character that you watch develop.
The novel is told from the first person, but in an oddly disconnected way. While the narrator is part of the events of the book, his telling seems oddly removed and his presence does not seem to have any real effect on what happens.
It seems that all of these unusual writing techniques would not make the novel an enjoyable one, but Vonnegut’s writing is so clever and so unique that the reader cannot help but be completely drawn into the story and feeling like the monumental occurrences that take place in the novel effect this world as well.

9 comments:

  1. Sasha,

    It seems that you enjoyed reading this novel. Have you read any others of Kurt Vonnegut's?
    Ms. M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds to me like i picked the right book for the fourth quarter. I will be happy to read one of the only classics that got a good review. It's to bad i won't be able to relate to the characters because i think thats a very important part of reading any book. I guess some books make up for their lack of character development with good plot and structure.
    looking forward to a good read. :)

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to Ms. Mulhall...

    I read slaughterhouse five, which although it was really bizarre, I enjoyed a lot, and I started Breakfast of Champions, which was ok but by that point I had read so much Vonnegut in a row that I was on the verge of an existential crisis.
    -Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mentioned about the author's unique writing style and about how you really can't relate to the characters that much. I am one that likes to find a way to relate the characters to myself or someone else in the real world. Do you think someone like me would still enjoy the book?

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not really sure if you would enjoy the novel. Because of the author's unusual writing style the lack of character relatability is not really that noticeable, and instead I found that you really get swept up in the plot, but I could see how this book wouldn't be for everyone
    -Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that I would enjoy this novel if i read it based on how the authors writing style is. I like fast moving books that do not take a lot of time to describe every character.What was the novel mainly about?
    -Erika

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll find out if you read my last blog entry!
    -Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember you finished this book really fast. How much did you like this book??
    - Golshan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked it a lot! If you read my last blog, you'll see that I gave it a nine out of ten, which is not a rating I give many books
    -Sasha

    ReplyDelete