Monday, January 4, 2010

Samuel Langhorne Clemens, you know him as Mark Twain

George writes:
   Samuel Langhorne Clemens, you know him as Mark Twain. Twain was an american born writer know for his novels, short stories, and plays.
Twain was born in Florida, United States on November 30 1835. His father was a lawyer by the name of John Marshall. Twain grew up in Missouri, Unites States. he lived with his family on the banks of the Mississippi river. Twain, shorty after his father death began writting new paper articles. He was only twelve years of age. Twain would go on to work for his brother, Orion Clemens who owned several newspapers. Twain would soon be a famous writer by contributing to a huge piece of, The Carpet Bag, a Boston magazine. He and his brother go on to have many succesful years together, but they would follow the same fate as their father an have amny of their own business failings. Twain at this time began his travels. He traveled all around from the Mid-West to the South. Twain got married on February 2, 1870 to Olivia Langdon. The two had four children by the names of Langdon, Olivia Susan, Clara, Jean Lampton. Twain was in the confederate army during the civil war. he was promoted to 2nd lieutenant by the end of his serving time. His career as a writer was nothing short of legendary. Some of Twain's most famous novels were The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Prine and The Pauper, and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Which by the way is my book that i am reading. Mark Twain died on April 21 1910, from heart disease. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was turned into a motion picture in 1931, long after Twain was dead.

8 comments:

  1. George,
    Mark Twain seems like a great author. I ahve always wanted to read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.Tell me how Huckleberry Finn is. Or maybe we can watch it in class... Anyway good job on the mini biography. -Krystina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog George. I'm exciting to hear your summary of the book. Were any other books that Mark Twain wrote turned into a movie? -Kevin M

    ReplyDelete
  3. George, I have read The Prince and the Pauper, and I have read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, they both seem like great books. By the way you describe The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, I aim to read this peice of literature sometime in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. George,
    I never knew Mark Twain's real name was Samuel Langhorne Clemens. I found it very interesting that both him and his brother were both successful writers. I read The Adventures of Tom Sayer and really enjoyed it, tell me if you like Huckleberry Finn. ---Logan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post George,
    I read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer in sixth grade. I really enjoyed it. Maybe when you are done with Huckleberry Finn we can get together and compare and contrast the similarities and differences of the two novels.-Shayan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it interesting that he served in a war as well as became a famous writer. One thing i'd actually like to know is if his name was really Samuel Langhorne Clemens, why do so many people refer to him as "Mark Twain"?
    -Alec H

    ReplyDelete
  7. George, I have read The Prince and the Pauper, and I have read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, they both seem like great books. By the way you describe The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, I aim to read this peice of literature sometime in the near future.
    -Anas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post George, i found it amazing that he started writing newspaper artciles at the young age of just 12 years old. Also why do people refer to him as mMark Twain if that isn't his name?
    -Matt J

    ReplyDelete