Monday, January 4, 2010

Oscar Wilde

Konstantine writes;
Oscar Wilde was born on 16 October 1854, in Dublin, Ireland, his parenta were Jane Francesca Agnes surgeon Sir William Robert Wills Wilde. Wilde's mom was a poet his dad was a successful ear and eye surgeon who was knighted in 1864. Oscar had an older brother named William and a younger sister, Isola. He was originaly home schooled, in 1871 he entered Trinity College, Dublin, then went on to study the classics at Magdalen College, Oxford, England from 1874-1878.   Wilde did very well in school going on to win many prizes and awards including Oxford's Newdigate Prize for his poem "Ravenna".

   After school Wilde went to live in London and continued to write poetry. His first collection of poems was simply titled Poems.  It was published in 1881. That same year he left on a tour of America and Canada to deliver lectures on aestheticism. Wilde married Constance Mary Lloyd  with who he would have two sons; Cyril who was killed during World War I, and Vyvyan  who would become an author. The Wildes settled in Chelsea, London where he continued on with his work.

2 comments:

  1. Did you know there is a song named Oscar Wilde by Company of thieves. I'm not sure what it actually has to do with the author, but I thought I'd just let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did Cyril die, was he in teh army at that time??

    ReplyDelete