Michelle writes:
Reading the novel, “Great Expectations” had me wondering what Charles Dickens’ life had been like while he had written it. Researching his life gave me the chance to see what might have inspired him to include certain characters and events. Dickens was born on February 7th, 1812 in Portsmouth, England. Known as a congenial man, his father, John Dickens was financially threatened due to his hospitality and generosity. Eventually, the expenses caught up to him and he was imprisoned in 1824 for his debts. Because Charles was twelve at the time, he’d gone to work at a shoe-blacking factory to support the imprisoned family. The early, harsh labour he endured as a child played well into his stories, inspiring some of his characters – such as ‘Pip’ from “Great Expectations,” for example. His father had arranged for his son to attend the Wellington House Academy in London from 1824-1827, possibly sealing his fate to become a writer rather than suffer through more years of hard work. Dickens’ first book went by the name, “Sketches by Boz,” published in 1836, coincidentally the same year he’d married his wife, Catherine Hogart and had become editor for “Bentley’s Miscellany” – all in all, a very eventful year for Charles. A succession of novels followed promptly, starting with “Dombey And Son” (1846) and “David Copperfield” (1849), etc. After having collaborated with the author, Wilkie Collins on the drama, “No Thoroughfare,” and acting in his play, “The Frozen Deep” in 1857, he and his opposing actress (Ellen Ternan) had fallen in love, resulting in his divorce to Catherine. Now renowned throughout Europe, he’d begun to set off on public readings in 1858, following the publication/serialization of “Great Expectations” in 1860. Just as life seems to be at its highest climax for Charles, it had fallen to a disastrous end as Dickens, his mother and Ellen were involved in the Staplehurst train crash on their way back from Paris. Though escaping with minor injuries, he’d suffered post-traumatic trauma that he had never quite recovered from. Sadly, his life ended by a cerebral hemorrhage on June 9th, 1870. Buried in Poet’s Corner in London, Thomas Carlyle had described Dickens as “A sympathiser to the poor, the suffering and the oppressed.” Greatly missed he was, but his spirit lives on forever in the beloved novels he’d left in his wake.
Monday, January 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I never knew how tragic Charles' life was! Great summary of his life.
ReplyDeleteI have never read this novel. I have the movie "Great Expectations" but I never thought that it was based off of a novel until I read this blog. Have you ever seen this movie? Since you are reading this novel I would recomend you watching the movie so that you could compare the novel to the movie. I think that you would find the novel better because the movie is not the best but it is not bad.
ReplyDeleteWow, I never knew that Charles ha such a harsh life before. But the challenges he faced when he was younger is most likly what made become such a unbelivably talented writer. Your summary was great, you did a good job pointing out little peices of information about him and his life.
Wow amazing summary of Charles life. I can now understand why he wrote about such great tragidies.
ReplyDeleteCharles Dickens had such a tragic life. Its amazing how after all of that he was able to become such an amazing writer.
ReplyDeleteI never knew that Charles Dickens went to jail! Also, I never knew that he was in a train crash. I sympathize for him. He had such a hard life, yet he was able to write all these famous novels. One other fact is that Dickens and my author, Thomas Hardy, are buried at the same place.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading that, I now know that he likely wouldn't have to look too far to find something to write. Such an eventful life, tragic, but eventful.
ReplyDelete