Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Tory writes:
At the end of the novel The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, Dantès used his wealth to perform all sorts of good deeds. Dantes put back Monsieur Morrel and re-established the Morrel family name. The rest of the novel shows how Dantès (now about to assume the identity of the Count of Monte Cristo) effects his return upon his enemies. As Dantès himself says, "And now farewell to kindness, humanity, and gratitude. Farewell to all sentiments that gladden the heart. I have substituted myself for Providence in rewarding the good. May the God of Vengeance now yield me His place to punish the wicked” (ch. 19).  I enjoyed reading the story, but some parts I found sort of challenging. I would recommend the novel to any person who is serious about reading, and who enjoy reading adventurous and mysterious stories. Alexandre Dumas really concentrates on his word choice to make the story more interesting to the reader. The Count of Monte Cristo is a famous novel that really gets the reader involved, and thinking really hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment