Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Tobias Wolff

Tim writes:


The book I chose to read in This Boy’s Life by Tobias Wolff. He was born on June 19, 1945 in Birmingham, Alabama. The novel is a memoir about his life as he was growing up as a boy just before his teenage years. He grew up with his mother who he was very close to whom always seemed unsettled and was constantly on the move and his abusive step-father. Tobias moved out of Florida with his mother, Rosemary to go north to get away from the step-father and to get rich mining for uranium since Rosemary did not have a lot of money. As a pre-teen, Wolff was always getting in trouble from writing on the bathroom, to throwing eggs at nice cars, to opening up car doors, turning the emergency brakes off and watching them roll down hills hitting other cars on the way.
Wolf attended Stanford University in California in 1977. Before that, he served as a lieutenant in the army from 1964-1968 during the Vietnam War. When he got into writing, he wrote a few short stories including Back in the World and A Night in Question. One novel he wrote was The Barracks Thief. In addition to writing all these, he got several awards including the National Endowment fellowship award and the Henry award.
I’m looking forward to reading this memoir especially because it is about a boy only a few years younger then me. I will probably be able to connect to him in many ways. I have already started reading it and I found that it is very easy I think because of the fact that it is about a boy instead of an adult.

3 comments:

  1. Tim,

    It's been a while since you wrote this entry. So, I assume that you are well into the novel by now? How do you like it? Did you know that there is a movie of the story starring Leonardo DiCapprio? It's quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you find it too factual at all, because it is an autobiography right?
    Is it told like a story or is it too non-fictional?

    - Caitie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I am a good ways into the novel now and I still like it but the events seemed to slow down a bit and it is not as exciting as the beginning but it is still interesting. When I was searching on the internet about Tobias Wolff and this novel, I came across a clip of the movie version and I am planning on watching it once I finish the book

    ReplyDelete