Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Book To Choose

Katherine writes:
On deciding which book to pick as my fourth term classic, I
couldn't seem to make up my mind. I had asked several classmates
about their last term reads, all giving me yes or no approvals of
their selections, but none that truly stood out until the last
person I interrogated. I asked him, "Did you like your book?"
He paused seemed to think of the right thing to say, and caught
off guard, avoiding to answer with a yes or no, he replied with,
"Yeah I guess, if you are a seventeen year old girl." Now, he
failed to acknowledge whether or not he liked the book, however
his response intrigued me to look further into it. The book, In
Country, by Bobbie Ann Mason, is about Sam, a small-town Kentucky
girl, who lives with her Vietnam War Veteran Uncle. When my
classmate first answered with "if you are a seventeen year old
girl," I thought he was saying if you are a teenage girl like
yourself, you might like it, but also because he did not want to
admit that he liked a book based of an audience of "seventeen
year old girls," with a yes answer.
I'm glad, rather than playing it safe and merely choosing the
"Yes" categorized books, I went with the mysterious choice. I
have just started the book, but I am enticed by the story, which
is about Sam's interest of her secretive Uncle's past, her
struggle to get information about her father, who was killed in
Vietnam, and her coming of age in Hopewell, a small Southern
town. I also am very interested in History and war scenes so I am
excited to read further and find out more about Sam and her
Uncle's story.

1 comment:

  1. Katherine,

    This was a good posting. I hope that you enjoy reading this novel. It sounds like you are enjoying it so far?

    Ms. M.

    ReplyDelete