Wednesday, May 27, 2009

James Joyce

Meaghan writes:
For my independent classic reading book this last quarter, I chose to read Dubliners, by James Joyce. James Joyce was an Irish novelist, who was born in Dublin on February 2, 1882. Both of his parents studied literature when James was growing up. Joyce expressed his great use of language in Ulysses (1922) and Finnegan’s Wake (1939). Throughout writing all three novels, he expressed his great use of allusions, word play, history, and puns. He published Dubliners in 1914 right after attending Belvedere College in Dublin. James Joyce died on January 14, 1941.
The novel, Dubliners, consists of fourteen short stories, with the addition of an introduction and a preface. This book is very unique, and so far has kept my interest. I am not too far in the book now, I am about to start my fourth short story. The climax comes quick in the short stories, and at the end of each one, I am constantly finding myself wanting to read more. Like I said, Dubliners is a very unique selection consisting of short stories. I have never read anything like any one of the stories. There are loads of characters for every short story. For example, in my favorite so far called The Sisters, I was introduced to Nannie, Eliza, Father O’Rourke, Miss Flynn, Auntie, and Rev. James Flynn. It is hard to keep track of what each character does, but at the end they all come to a conclusion.
I am looking forward to continue reading Dubliners. It will be interesting to see if my personal favorite short story The Sisters will fluctuate and possibly I might have a new favorite short story once I am finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment