Greg writes:
Joseph Conrad’s novel, Heart of Darkness, follows the life of a man named Marlow after he is taken from his life in England to be the captain of a ship. However, he soon after learns that this alleged “ferry boat” is really used to transport ivory for a man named Kurtz in the Congo. Throughout the story, Marlow finds himself growing to love the water more and more, considering it far more omnipresent and boundless than the land, which, in Africa, is usually riddled with plague and disease.
I like this novel because of how it so literally incorporated the title into the story, often showing dark scenes, using night, and contrasting light as a metaphor for good vs. evil, which is time and again shown when dealing with the natures of Marlow and the wicked Kurtz. Another recurring theme in the novel are the characters’ finding themselves speechless, and unable to articulate their thoughts at key times. This usually happens at very important times in the novel, meaning that the events and sights may well have rendered them speechless, or may well have been too awe-inspiring to have words fully describe them. I particularly liked this aspect of the novel because I relate to it quite nicely. I am, at times, at a loss for words when even trying to describe the simplest of feelings, and in that, I can relate to the novel at those times.
Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness was a realistic fiction, yet it was heavier in metaphors and symbolism than any reality possibly could be. That’s not to say it’s inferior to today’s novels. It is simply different. It pioneered the modern era’s sense of symbolism. Overall, I rate this book a 5.5-6/10. I absolutely loved the figurative language Conrad used in the novel, however, it was a bit erratic at times, drawing lines between good and evil in the most obscure places.
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This sounds like a great read! It's very interesting to think of the title of a book being used as literally as in this book's case, because it just doesn't seem to be done anymore. That's really cool.
ReplyDeleteI also like the way you describe how the characters are lost for words when trying to describe even the simplest of emotions. I can relate to that as well.
I have one question: when you say that the novel was a bit erratic at times, did you mean only the lines drawn between good and evil, the figurative language, or just the plot in general?
-Maeve
Greg, I really like that you related to the book personally. This is a good skill because it allows you to connect to the story on a deeper level. Quick question, how exactly is the title used?
ReplyDelete-Katherine
Greg,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! You might have a career in literary analysis! I like that you examined the novel on a number of levels.
Maeve,
Nice, thoughtful comment.
Ms. M.