Golshan writes:
I am reading the novel Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton. This novel starts off by having a character interview people in Starkfield about Ethan Frome. To this character, it seems like Ethan has a big secret. Right before he finds out what the secret is chapter one starts. Ethan is waiting for Mattie, his wife's cousin (who he has a crush on). When the dance she was at ended, they walk home together and discuss her job. Mattie works for Ethan and Zeena as a housekeeper. Zeena (his wife) is jealous and wants to fire Mattie, but she needs someone to help out around the house. She is always sick and can't do much most of the time. Ethan goes out to get wood and thinks about Mattie and Zeena. When he gets back, he finds out that Zeena is going to the doctor for a few days and he will be alone with Mattie. He has some flashbacks of when he met Zeena. Ethan's father had died in an accident and his mother was very ill and quiet most of the time. Zeena helped him take care of his mother and talked to him when there was no one else around. This is how they had met and they got married later. This is as far as I have read. I like this novel because it has an interesting plot and the characters are well developed. The only thing I did not like was how the author used too many details. She explained the scenery and setting too much. Also, she used a lot of pages to make one point. So far I would give this novel a 7 because of this.
-Golshan
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This sounds cool, Golshan! Zeena sounds like such an interesting character, with so many different qualities.
ReplyDelete-Meaghan.
It seems very full of drama and reminds me of the book that i am reading now ("Madame Bovery"). It really captured my attention.
ReplyDelete-Mairian S.
I read this novel last term. Do you think the language was difficult to understand?
ReplyDeleteKristina:]
Golshan,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that the language is complex. Wharton goes into great detail throughout the novel. It's well worth hanging in there, though. It's a story that will stay with you long after you've finished reading it.
Do you agree Kristina?
Ms. M.
I really want to see if he ends up choosing Zeena or Mattie, this novel sounds really good so far.
ReplyDeleteKayla
I am reading the same novel this term and I have to agree with you. The plot line is very interesting, and it just seems like I can never put the book down. The language is complex, but I think I can manage. Also, the author describes scenery in too much detail. I feel like even after the point was made the story just drags on with extra unnecessary description. I cannot wait to finish reading it though, to find out who Ethan chooses.
ReplyDelete-Varteni