I read two books over February vacation. I read "The Art of Racing in the Rain." This book was an easy read, but it was very interesting. It is about a race car driver whose wife dies and then he goes through a custody battle with his daughter's maternal grandparents. It is told through the eyes of the driver's dog. This dog (Enzo) has been living with the driver since before he got married and became a father. It was a bittersweet read.
The second book I read was "Middlesex." This book is about a child who is born with both male and female sexual parts (a hermaphrodite) and raised as a girl. It tells the story of how her grandparents immigrated from Greece to Detroit. The heroine does not find out until she is a teenager that she is a hermaphrodite. The story is very well written, and the characters are vividly portrayed. It is an emotional story, making the reader feel sad, hopeful, happy, and intrigued.
Monday, February 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I read "Middlesex" last year and was also impressed how Jeffrey Eugenides so masterfully portrayed the fictitious Callie and her extended family. Mostly, I appreciated how the story made me sometimes smile, while other times feel sadness, but above all, how I gained a better understanding of the life of a hermaphrodite.
ReplyDeleteMrs Segal